Thursday, October 1, 2009

The First Week's Impressions!












Hello all!!! Thanks for continuing to check in! I've been looking forward to updating this blog this week!



This post is a collection of some random thoughts I've had after spending a week in Bosnia. There are more, but I've tried to condense. Hope you enjoy. :)

- I went apartment hunting this week. Have you ever wondered where those avocado green and peach colored furniture and appliances went after their hayday in the U.S.? Well, in this excursion, I got to find out. (By the way, I hope to have pictures of my apartment in the next post!)

- Immersing yourself in a different culture is an extremely humbling event. Even though all my limbs and mental capacity are working strong (at least I think they are), I act and have to be treated like a child. I read no faster than a 1st grader sounding out all the letters, I have to be taught how to run a dishwasher (its different here), and I can't have anything close to a resemblance of an intellectual conversation! Plus, the fact that I'm a hot-shot coed softball player (or anything else you want to be proud of) doesn't matter- I'm just a foreigner who can't tell the difference between flour and sugar at the supermarket!

- Surprising to me, I feel more connected to the world now than before I moved here. Because I'm spending so much time learning the language, I'm spending a lot of time with my computer language software. When I need a mental break, I check my email, cnn, facebook, twitter, and other websites (usually in that order).

- I have a theory on why Europeans supposedly don't shower as often as those in the US. The showers here aren't nearly as refreshing as in the states... The water pressure is WEAK and the water is HARD. And, in case you were wondering, the two don't balance each other out!

- This would be a lot harder if I weren't joining a team here. Their help in finding an apartment, getting my white card (equivalent to a green card in the states), fighting off the urge to do too much at the beginning, and getting situated to the city has been invaluable. It makes me very appreciative of them and even more respectful of those that have moved to places not knowing anyone!

-There is a fascination here for red hair- you wouldn't believe all the different shades of red hair color I've seen (I have yet to see another natural redhead...) If it wasn't so incredibly obvious to other people that I'm a foreigner, I would probably enjoy this more. :)

- There's only been one time that I've felt overwhelmed, and that is when I was reflecting on how much support I have at home. To all my friends, supporters, family members, and others that have played a role in this, know that I am incredibly grateful for each of you and pray that you know your vital part in this.

- Last night, I had the privilege to watch a Bosnian accept Jesus as her Lord and Savior (this, my blogging friend, sadly, has not been a common event!!). First off, I was struck by how much this person was giving up in order to make this decision. All of her family and the majority of her friends are Muslim or staunchly non-religious. While she doesn't have to face the pressures others face in parts of the world (MANY Christians lives become immediately in danger), she made the decision knowing full well that there WILL be ramifications from her friends and family. She counted the cost, had a time of decision making, and then decided that Jesus was TRUE and worth it. As someone who became a Christian in bible belt of the US, where it is basically weird to NOT be a Christian, I have nothing to compare this to, and I fear that the normalcy of these decisions has caused a bit of apathy in the states. Often times we don't grasp how BIG of a decision this is- with what you give up, the change of life it leads you to live, and what you get in return.

Which led me to my second reaction: thinking about some of the incredible rewards that she inherited: freedom from slavery, inexplainable peace, complete forgiveness, an invitation to an intimate friendship/ relationship with the maker of the universe, untamed power at work inside of her, the ability to have joy in all circumanstances, and eternal life. May we (me especially), never forget what we've been saved from and what we've been saved to!

"Stagnant faith comes from knowing what you've been saved from, but not knowing what you've been saved to." Matt Chandler

Much, much more to come! Till next time...
-Kat

7 comments:

adawn412 said...

Love it! Cracking up about the shower -- that is SOOO true and not only Bosnia...even in the UK it's like that! Can't wait to see pics of the apartment :) Reading this just really hits me between the eyes...I know I'm supposed to be out in the 'field' as well...I know you had to wait on God's timing and now I'm doing the same...praying for you!

Unknown said...

Kat,
Thank you for sharing this incredible journey..your impressions about salvation vs apathy here have got me really thinking...
will keep you in my prayers.
Keep looking to Christ
Carolyn

candice said...

Hey girl. I am so happy and proud of you for everything. You are doing an amazing thing and when you feel overwhelmed please remember that. I can't wait to see pics of the apartment and here more about how things are going. We love and miss you. Hope to talk to you soon.

Rachelle McClellan said...

I am so honored to know someone as amazing as yourself. I cannot even put into words how much I admire your faith. Thank you for sharing! Lots of Love!
-Rachelle

annarondo said...

Just know how very proud and happy we are of you and your every accomplishment! As for the old furniture, I always wondered where mine had ended up! lol. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We love you so very much, and know you are on a very incredible journey to share your love of God.

Love, Mom and Ron

Barnes Family said...

It was soooo great to get an update. We have been wondering how you are doing getting settled in. We think of you often and celebrate with you as God continues to stretch you and grow you for His Kingdom.
Paul and Sherri

Laura Beese said...

Great post and pics. Keep them coming!